Friday, January 15, 2016

The Peculiar Aunt Deev


Image result for the peculiar miss pickett

At a very young age, I fell under the influence of the peculiar Miss Pickett.  Since then, she's been an invaluable role model.  Especially right now.

My wonder-struck reality is that I was a peculiar child raised in a peculiar family that belonged to a peculiar religion in a peculiar town with a peculiar school system & peculiar everything.  


Image result for the peculiar miss pickett


Peculiar in a positive way, as in unexpected, unfamiliar, atypical.  Because  I  most assuredly was, the Lockharts certainly were, even within our atypical religion & town. 

And, as I experienced, being peculiar turned out to be a good thing.  I look at life through very different eyes, with a background that was definitely different on about as many levels as you can name.  For me, that clicked.  My experience clearly wasn't the norm, but the older I get the more I realize that anyone who actually is certifiably "normal" is far more peculiar than I!!


If I could, like Miss Pickett, take off a pair of heavy black-rimmed glasses & change my life from what it was - well, I wouldn't.  My life had its strange moments, my background often leaves me at a disadvantage talking to others within & without my small community, but I've come to appreciate the magic threaded  throughout all my days, from the moment I came home from the hospital to the here & now.  


Image result for the peculiar miss pickett


Perhaps that's the biggest AH HA! moment I brought away from this past weekend's writing workshop.  Lots & lots of people experience me as peculiar, find that disconcerting & disturbingly unfamiliar.  It is what it is.  Look at the family I grew up in, the religion that forms the foundation of my steadfast sprituality, the remarkable town I've called my own for all my life, the fact that I can stand on a spot in my little hometown & see where where I went to elementary school, high school & college. No escaping that each is peculiar.

It's true that peculiar can mean strange, odd, funny, bizarre & weird.  In fact, a LOT of folks might use just those very words to describe yours truly, my family, community, church, schools & culture.  Not me!  I love getting to grow up, grow older, grow wiser in environments that encourage curiosity, reveling in the mysterious, that's delightfully atypical & wondrously unexpected.

Peculiar - that's me!  And darned proud of it. Who isn't?  And if they aren't - how sad for them!



 Image result for the peculiar miss pickett






No comments:

Post a Comment