Saturday, January 16, 2016

mighty forces


Image result for be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid


In her butt-kicking book, The Anatomy of a Calling, Lissa Rankin points out that what holds most of us back from pursuing what beckons isn't actual fear - it's avoidance of voluntarily putting ourselves in a situation where we might feel fear.  Might.  And because hold back due to chronic fear of being afraid, we're stuck in a chronic state of - you guessed it - FEAR.  

I don't know if Basil King first used the quote about being bold & mighty forces coming to our aid or the less frequently cited Arthur Gordon Webster.  Am using the Webster version for what follows.  He speaks my truth.  When I've failed to succeed in an undertaking, it's because of stepping aside from actually going after it - it's because I've chosen to avoid the possibility of fear rather than put myself fully in its path, letting it run through & past me.

"Be bold & mighty forces will come to your aid."  I've always thought of bold action as being brave, brilliant - and felt intimidated.  Now, I realize that the boldest thing is taking a first decisive step.  The most courageous thing I ever saw wasn't my 88-year old mother walking into her first counseling session; it wasn't even when she told Kevyn - against everything in her nature & nurture - "I haven't a clue who I am.  I need to talk."  It was her picking up the phone, dialing, staying on the line, opening up.  To this day, the boldest, bravest thing I've ever seen - that small, decisive action opened up a new relationship within herselves, between the two of us, between Mom & her family, her circle of friends & acquaintances, the world.



Image result for bold quotes


Being bold.  Taking that first step.  Which leads me back to last weekend, at Rowe, back to Nancy's workshop & her wisdom.  The first chapter of Writing from the Heart ends with a quote from Goethe:
There is one elementary Truth -
the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and
splendid plans.
The moment one definitely commits oneself, then
Providence moves too.
All sorts of things occur to help one that never
otherwise would have occurred...

Whatever you can do, 
Or dream you can do,
Begin it.
Boldness has genius, power & magic in it.
Begin it now.



Image result for bold quotes



What a bittersweet reminder from Steve Jobs that our time is limited.  Avoidance fritters it away, makes us feel like we are doing something rather than dragging our heels in fear of feeling fear.  

I've experienced amazing forces rallying to my support in pursuing my dream of a more expansive culture that embraces all ages, that remembers the importance of elder wisdom & embraces the promise of 5th commandment living.  And - every day - I feel the pull of the fear of fear holding me back.  Not fear blocking my way.  Avoidance.

Be bold!  Drop kick avoidance, plunk down in the midst of fear's path.  “The gods only go with you if you put yourself in their path.”  And watch what comes!







Credentials
1) azquotes.com
2) quotesgram.com
3) redsnapperverytasty.com

No comments:

Post a Comment