Friday, August 1, 2014

paws on floor

As I took two loose-fitting, just-right-for-Omega tops into the front room to pack, I heard the sound of paws running toward the room.  Looking down, it was the soft, long red stripes of Rennie, not the short ones of Gryff.  Was suddenly overwhelmed with the realization of how many days it's been since Gryff begged "more please," running up to the room, dashing across & up to HIS special place.  How wonderful it will be to have him back to his sweetly demanding self.

This morning, he wasn't behind the couch.  Our hearts stood still until we found him, curled up under the end table.  I held my breath as I put an outstretched hand on his fur - he didn't stir, but there was a faint warmth as I lightly stroked his body, paying special attention to his head.  This is a lad who LOVES to be held & stroked & loved.  

As I picked him up, he became slightly more attentive.  John stood by me & showered loving attentions on our boy of boys.  Gryff seemed to be finally coming around, shifting in my arms.  When I put him down, he headed toward the kitchen.  Have never been so happy to hear paws on linoleum floor! 

Praise be, Gryff ate some breakfast & took some water.  John & I will give him his a.m. meds just before I head out.  

It will be harder than John can imagine to relinquish MY role of holding that beloved cat - so small compared to the "Big Red" who first & forever stole our hearts - and giving Gryff his tiny pill.  Am always aware of the blessing of our daily communion - a tender rapport.  Alas, reason wins out - the Keetmeister has to do it tonight through Sunday morning, so needs the practice. 

Whatever happens over the next days, Gryff only knows love & deep appreciation with us.  He might need to beg "more food, please," but that short-haired red tabby is always full up with love.

UPDATE 08/04/14 - John went to the vet for special cat food.  Gryff did an almost immediate turn around.  When I arrived home last night, HE was one of the cats greeting me at the door!  Amazed tonight to see him dash into the front room for his supper, then to chomp down the vittles!

No comments:

Post a Comment