Friday, August 8, 2014

throwing down the gauntlet

Challenged myself to be downright organized & well thought-out in writing my older2elder posts.  Figure out what a theme for the week & stick to it.  Be responsive rather than reactive.  If I see something that begs for sharing with others, in MIGHT be right to share on the spur of the moment IF it fits into the week's framework.  Otherwise, let it steep.  Will just get richer, more textured.  

Reminding myself that every aspect of everything I do must reflect the overall goal dangling in front of me.  THAT is how things get done.  At least,that is how I get things done.  Can do scattered, but it is minimally effective.  Just working isn't the same as WOW!  All my life, have been sacrificing the great for the good, the mediocre, the just getting by.

Chalk it up to lack of focus,to natural distraction.  

Thirteen years ago, I attended the annual conference of the National Polymer Clay Guild, being held nearby in Bryn Mawr.  At one of the presentations, someone asked the artist how he generated ideas.  He clutched his chest, did an exaggerated reel backwards, then came back to the mic with his anwer - "The problem is never how to generate ideas.  It usually feels like I'm bombarded with ideas.  The challenge is to pick out the rare choice ones, the ones worth investing energy in, the ones that matter."  There are countless areas clamoring for attention, countless issues about aging saging eldering - even if I was forty years younger, would still only have time to focus on a handful.  At 62, I have time for a few.  Which will they be?  

Guantlet thrown?

No comments:

Post a Comment