Sunday, March 9, 2014

What you think about me...

It's impossible to count the # of people I rub the wrong way, just by being open about my perceived challenges.  Narcissistic - self indulgent - and worse.  All terms I've been labeled due to acknowledging life-long challenges.  And it is true that most people keep such dismal things to themselves.  Alas, I've never had a sense of personal privacy.  But that's not why I share some of my greatest current challenges.  By sharing, a space is opened for change.

What is utterly beyond cool is knowing that the details behind my challenges are in the past.  All that I have to grapple with in this present moment is whatever reality exists at this point in apparent time, unhindered by the chains of the past.  Yes, it truly does help remembering how small & inadequate & totally out ranked I felt hearing people batting around mind-massaging topics utterly above my grasp.  But only because it's clear to my 62-year old self that I was the one generating that response.  Ya gotta see something before ya can shake it off!  Catch & release - not a bad mantra!

FYI - am not beating myself up by saying I rub people the wrong way.  They've been remarkably forthright about it through the years.  But lean in & learn an important lesson learned many years ago - what people think about me is none of my business.  

The fact is that I've made astonishing progress over a mere... okay, 38 years.  But the fact is that progress HAS been made, I am way better at living in THIS moment rather than fretting over what was or dithering over what may be.  

It's not just that what you think about me is none of my business - - what I think about me is none of my business either.  What I am doing in THIS moment - that's what matters.  Always has been, always will.  

Ain't living in whatever passes as NOW grand?!!

No comments:

Post a Comment