Wednesday, March 23, 2016

the advantage of age

originally posted on Secrets of the Home....



Image result for older & wiser


Am amazed at how differently age is shifting my perspectives & responses.  Instead of feeling irked or even hurt by another's long ago and/or ongoing action, keep finding myself wondering about all the things that are beyond my ken - is what they seem to be conveying what they intended?  Am I misreading something, unintentionally - or intentionally! -  putting it in an incorrect context?  Are they clear about where I am coming from?  And the biggest of all biggies - is it (whatever it is) worth getting my knickers in a twist?  

How often I've wished - after the fact - that I'd paused to consider that last question.  Luckily, the older I get, the more likely I've gotten to hitting the pause button & reconsider what to say next.


Image result for too soon old, too late smart

My dear old Mother often spoke about the need for husbands & wives to take care before letting loose a barrage of criticism & personal digs.  "You can say you're sorry until the cows come home, but there will always be a scar," she cautioned, especially when hearing a couple rip into each other almost for sport.  

The same is true with all our friends & family, with co-workers & pleasant acquaintances.  The older I get, the more readily I keep watch on what I say, on how it's said & why.  Praise be for getting mellower & hopefully wiser with age!


Image result for older & wiser


No comments:

Post a Comment