Saturday, March 12, 2016

Nailing my goals


Image result for breck shampoo ads

Woke up this beautiful a.m. to the "Where did that come from?!" realization that not only did Lynne Heilman always look like she could have easily have been a Breck Girl, of the iconic '50s '60s ads, her daughter Ali could, too - lovely lovely women!  

Spot on realization, but a whacky thing to wake up pondering.

Took until my NEXT thought to realize that I still haven't a) made a dentist appt, b) checked out PA Medicaid (which I just discovered was expanded & might cover me now - previously made too much to qualify), c) still haven't billed a key client.  

Clearly, fully realizing in the noggin that something needs doing doesn't immediately equate into it being fully realized.  Compounding that pesky procrastination was my first response, a cascade of "Duh!" - "JUST like you!" - "Will I never learn?"  Please note that nowhere among those comments was, "Be sure to do them to today."  

Added a new goal to my list - make that response my go-to reaction to the light dawning I've put off or forgotten something.  

Which reminds me of a story Mom often told about a man who built a delightful tree fort for his children.  His family, friends & neighbors were astonished at his accomplishment - he was a super busy executive with numerous other responsibilities.  They all wanted to know how he found time to build every child's dream perch.  


Image result for kids tree fort

It was easy, he explained - "Whenever I had a free moment, I hit a nail."

The first time I head Mom share that story, I was probably still in the cradle.  How many times did she haul it out when one of her kids gripped about not having the time to do a project?  "Hit a nail" was a family by-word for "get your rear in gear."  

A simple tale, a basic lesson, as true to day as it was when Mom first came across it.  When I have a free moment, hit a nail, any nail.  And watch my projects take form, be completed.


postscript - realizing I have to send Ali a link to this posting - when you look as lovely as a Breck Girl, in spite of being busy busy with three young uns, you should hear it!  


 Image result for breck shampoo ads

 

    

 

No comments:

Post a Comment