Tuesday, September 30, 2014

unequal v. unfair

Interesting.  As part of a Facebook discussion, I talked about realizing from a very early age that things my brother did were off limits to me.  He tramped all over Europe & hitchhiked around Australia. Even as a kid, it was clear such adventures were not in my future.  

Someone responded, " Yes, it is unfair. Everyone's purpose is theirs alone. There is more unfairness for some than others."

Hadn't expected that.  My post didn't mention it being unfair.  It wasn't.  It was unequal.  The fact is that, being a guy, my brother didn't have to face the same safety issues as a girl.  That's just the way things were, maybe still are.  
Unequal is not unfair.  Unfair is having two people able to do the same thing & one excluded based solely on gender.  

No comments:

Post a Comment