Saturday, September 20, 2014

Minding my Ps

A small treasure arrived Thursday - Chasing Stars in the Sunshine, by The Great Molly Nece (my name for her - most folk know her as Molly Sunshine).  Being a somewhat short book, thought I'd get through it in a somewhat short time.  

Not so fast!  Small book, lots to ponder.  Found myself going slow.  Came to a complete stop last night, after discovering my missing Ps.

Ps?  

Best to start at the end - the back of Molly's book, where a first reading of her first sentence gave me pause:  There are some people who only hope for the best, while others plan for greatness.  Sheez!  Is she saying that planning for greatness is a  good  sort of thing?  Does it feel that way to me?  Wasn't sure.

Reading on, talk about action & discover how to live in the moment & living your legacy put me more in my comfort zone.  

Smiled at her use of "to the Nth degree," a term my family often used.  

Totally related to adventure, live it to love it, explore, and make a difference & be the difference.  

Settled back for an easy read, mildly engaged by Molly's 5 Ps - principles, passions, persistence, people & peace.  Interesting, but hardly news.  Thought to myself, "Never judge a book by it's back cover." 

HA!  The second sentence of the introduction made me sit up & take notice.  Molly co-wrote a book - Do It Rhino Style, with Dave Magrogan - in 15 days! 

Hmmm...  For many months, the niggling thought, "It will take so long," has side-tracked me from writing my own books.  Molly did one in 15 days.  

By the time I headed off to sleep, had read the introduction & started on Principles. The chapter held great promise, starting out with a section on In spite of or Because of  - people around us teach lessons on how TO do things or how NOT to.  Related to how she stepped back to look at her parents as people, not just Mom & Dad.  Molly had my attention.

It was last night that she stopped me in my tracks, just a page or two into my reading.  Molly lists 20 core principles, with instructions to check off the 15 that spoke to me, then narrow that down to my top 10, and finally get it down to 5 core principles in my life.

What stopped me cold weren't the ones I picked - it was the missing Ps.  The ones that didn't make it to any of the lists.  The ones that didn't resonate with me.  At all.  They tell a tale, all by themselves.

Health.  Order.  Recognition.  Wealth.  Competitiveness.  
My missing Ps.

Shook me up, realizing I never even paused to consider any one of those five.  Oh, picked "economic security," but Wealth?  Realized my response to that word was to move away from "getting rich, making money," and on to the more resonant "being involved with others" (Involvement) 

The realization of my cool, shoving-away response to each of word sunk in & so did the awareness that there's more here than was previously apparent in my life.

One of those - yeah, it makes sense to one of them might not be a core principle.  Maybe even a couple.  But none?  What about health, order, recognition, wealth & competitiveness makes me squirm?  It wasn't just that they didn't resonate - they felt somehow incompatible with my core being.  

Could that be a reason why I have so little of each in my life?  

The first sentence on the back cover suggested that greatness was a good thing to expect & plan for, more than just hoping & working toward the best.  Page 24 has me pondering why five of the core principles required to achieve greatness in addition to goodness are totally utterly completely outside my ken, feel anathema to my very sense of who I am.

Time to mind those missing Ps, to make them welcome, even if they don't make it to the Final Five.  


Small book, big awareness.   
SO Molly Sunshine!

No comments:

Post a Comment