Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Gift of compassion

Not sure if my mother was more amazed or bugged by my ability to look at a situation from my perspective AND its opposite.  Could argue my point, then turn around & argue my sister's (which was often very different).  Alas, that didn't mean I was graced with an equally heightened sense of compassion toward my sis, just that I could understand & rattle off where she was coming from.  

Took me countless risings & settings of the moon to get to a place of compassion for people who drive me batty.  Had to first learn that I am not the arbiter of right & wrong, and that feeling tenderness & concern for others didn't make me weak, just aware.  Aware that I am not the end all & be all, that there is no "other" - that's an illusion.  We are all connected.  There is no other, only us.  

At the moment, am writing the thank you notes going out with our State of the Human update #3.  What a remarkable feeling of connection, from such a simple action.  Finding the just-right note card, taking the time to dash off just a few words, teaming it up with the generic update - feeling wrapped in a blanket of well-knit love.

My most important thank you is heads to the Great Spirit for getting through the gunk & junk & bumble-headed self-absorption.  I could clear all the meddlesome, muddlesome stuff out of the way, but the actual grace of compassion - that was a gift from a far higher source.  Thanks, thanks & more thanks for making my life lighter, livelier, sweeter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment