Wednesday, April 2, 2014

The Big 6-2

Twelve years ago, when I hit 50, a friend commented that I kept mentioning how my life shifted turning fifty.  How, he wanted to know, had it changed?  I answered that I didn't know.

He was NOT satisfied with that reply.  HOW had it changed?  Again, I answered that I didn't know.

Finally, in exasperation, he demanded, "You keep saying that life has transformed since you turned fifty.  HOW  HAS  IT  CHANGED?"  And my answer finally sunk in with him - at 50, I learned that I didn't know.  

At 50, I could look back at all the things I thought I knew for absolute sure that turned out to be absolutely wrong, and realize that I can never be fully sure of what I know.  I learned that it is  important to have a firm opinion, but to hold it in a light hand.

The reason I bring this up is because of all the changes that rushed into my life between January 14 & Feb 7.  

For 38 years - since I was 24 years old - certain questions kept dancing before me.for which I sought answers.  Over those mid-winter days, the answers were given.  Now, I have friends asking me, "What did you learn?" 

First - cats are a more highly evolved life form than humans.  They don't torment to death other creatures in the name of discovering ways to cure their own, often self-inflicted, diseases & maladies.  They don't turn their eyes away from animals being tortured & killed.  They don't torment other animals in order to provide value-priced food.  They don't support inhumane food producers.  They grieve, so it's reasonable they feel joy. You can step on their tails & they still trust you.  Definitely higher life form than humans. 

No comments:

Post a Comment