Sunday, April 27, 2014

Power of a simple "I'm sorry."

It's interesting, my sister dismissing all the hurts inflicted & felt within our family, brushing them off with, "We were no different than most families."   

That statement  - "We're no different..." is as powerful as an apology, but in reverse.  Seven words is all it takes.  We're no better, no worse than most others.  Keep moving, ladies & gentlemen, nothing worth looking at here.  Certainly, nothing worth an apology.

All my life, from the time I was a little kid, I've always believed in the power of saying "I'm sorry" and meaning it, saying it and not doing the same action again, the action that caused another hurt.

I am so grateful that John is comfortable with a simple mea culpa.  He knows the related oops won't be brought up again after a genuine apology.  Hey, things happen, mess ups occur, even feelings get hurt.  Neither of us ever thinks the other made an intentional hash, both of us realize hurts still happen.  

My parents were intriguing case studies in apologies.  Mom apologized for everything.  Seriously.  If I griped about one of my sibs, it would take three sentences or less for Mom to make the source of disgruntlement her doing, her responsibity & offer apologies.  I tracked it - no more than three sentences, tops.  Dad was the only family member I was aware of who actually would offer an apology for something he said or did that went awry.  Not often, but on the rare occasion.

Sometimes, I wonder what my life would be like without John.  All my life, I thought it took pretty little to keep me happy.  How wondrously affirming to model with John the basic behaviors I always thought I believed to be the fair & just way to live.

There is great power to a simple, "I'm sorry."  When it is said, when the action isn't repeated.  And I hope that I realize the value of that simple statement when I've done something insensitive inappropriate dumb.

Smiling, remembering what John has long done when he's been in situation where an apology is appropriate.  He'll say it, then back it up with some action - doing the dishes, sprucing up our bed, making a fresh pot of coffee - that lets me know he's thinking about me.  What do I in a similar situation?  Make a double bowl of pop corn.  

Yep, there's a lot of power in a simple, "I'm sorry," and even more when it's back up by an action that says a silent, "I love you." 

No comments:

Post a Comment