Monday, April 7, 2014

Except you become as little children...



Yesterday, for the second time in a few months, my pastor took my breath away.  A few months ago, he stunned me during after-church announcements with his conditioned praise of Nelson Mandela on the great leader’s death, noting some people found him a controversial.  Seriously?!  Yesterday, it was his scoffing reference to someone’s belief in the importance of meditation.

Amazing.  Feels to me that he puts all of our faith’s understanding in one basket, with all focus on written revelation & none on personal spiritual practices like meditation & yoga.  Not unexpected, since understanding through learning is innately masculine, while understanding through perception is innately feminine – which is why for wisdom we need to combine the two. 

A minister to whom I shared some of my thoughts noted that The Writings do talk about the importance of reflection.  He was spot on – they do.  But HOW are we called to reflect?  WHAT is the end?

Personally, I believe reflection is the great essential of faith, whatever your religion.  Personally, I believe that was what Jesus referred to when he told his disciples, “Except you become as one as these little ones, you cannot enter the kingdom of heaven.”   It is a question I write to every new bishop, asking – what do you understand this passage is saying?  Have yet to receive an answer.

The way I was taught that passage was either that we needed to be like little children, willing to be led by wise teachers, or that we needed to regenerate so we can be reformed.  My own understanding of the passage is that we are to become as we ideally were as children, curious with a fresh view.  Developing what Buddhists refer to as Beginner’s Mind.  And two key steps to doing that are found in yoga & meditation, both of which I believe should be part of a General Church education, from Kindergarten through old age.

At one time, I was fond of saying my birth faith was a “wink wink” religion.  The Writings talk about a lifelong practice of personally examining our beliefs to ensure what we think we believe is what we really do, not outgrown but still hanging around as if it fits.  The church talks about the need for reflection & self-examination, but it seems to be said with a wink of the eye, with an assumption that of course we will still believe everything we were taught at home, at school, at church.  Wink wink. 

My dear old mother claimed that most people who were – like herself – born & raised in the General Church didn’t have a clue just how radical a faith ours is.  Am not totally sure what she meant, but I’ve always thought the emphasis on question question question was – and is – exceptional.  As in “not the norm.” 

At the gathering after my confirmation (we’re confirmed as adults, not children), the officiating minister noted that he typically advised young people to wait a few years before being confirmed, rather than doing it as soon as they were eligible.  He talked about the importance of questioning their faith before embracing it as theirs.  He floored me by saying that he felt I had done so sufficiently to leave him free to say yes & confirm me at eighteen. 

Bishop Pendleton’s words resounded in me at the time, as they still do.  I was raised in the time of ministers who stressed, over & over, the crucial critical key importance of not simply self-reflection but self doubt.  Do you believe such & so from yourself or because it was taught to you by someone else?

Years ago, driving to work down Davisville Road between Byberry & Terwood, I heard Meryl Streep (or was it Glenn Close?) being interviewed on NPR.  She was talking about when SHE turned 18, as she was about to enter college.  She made the decision to question EVERYTHING she believed to that point, realizing that most of it was actually what other people held dear, what others had instilled in her.  It doesn’t matter which actress said it;  what matters  is how clearly it rang true for me.  It just clicked, clicked so strongly I can still picture where I was on hearing it. 

We – all of us – absorb “mental models” from everything around us, from friends & family, from teachers & society, from t.v. & social media.  What we rarely do is make the opportunity to distance ourselves from what we’ve been taught to what we really believe.  Enter, meditation.

Yes, it stunned me that my pastor scoffed at Eben Alexander’s apparent belief that mediation is an essential to true understanding.  One reason why I continue to resist resist resist developing my own daily meditation practice is knowing how profoundly it will change my life for the clearer.  There is something comforting in not seeing, in not understanding which treasured beliefs are actually my own & which are actually mentally modeled on others’ beliefs & values, in not discovering which of my treasured comforting soothing beliefs have become outdated & no longer reflect my current values.

Weird  to grow up in a religion where some ministers & teachers seem to believe that faith is static, that what we learn as children & young adults  & much much older remains precisely as it was when we first learned it.  How grateful I am for Willard Pendleton, Ormond deCharms Odhner, Cairns Henderson and all the other ministers who emphasized the importance on being able to identify your own beliefs, separate from everything else, even separate from what you once held dear & no longer do. 

Haven’t a clue what any of them would have thought about meditation as a way to greater understanding.  Back when I was a young woman, anything intuitive tended to be painted as “from the hells.”  Not much of an encouragement.  But I wonder…

I thank my pastor for his scoffing comment about meditation.  At the time, I was interested in hearing more about what he thinks about meditation.  Now – nah.  But I am grateful to him for getting me thinking about the power of meditation – and yoga – in developing a sense of… whatever.  And for helping kick my butt into finally going beyond talking about it to actually making it part of my spiritual practice.  For that, he has my most profound appreciation.

No comments:

Post a Comment