Thursday, April 10, 2014

I'm watching....

Roald Dahl advised, "Above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."

What fun to notice all the unlikely places that heap great helpings of magic into my life.

Who would have thought that the most traditional, the most "high church" of all our local church services would feed my inner Perle Mesta?  Yet, it does!  FACT:  it's even better than throwing mega parties at Squirrel Haven (events that ended once the cats commandeered the house)!

Eons ago, when I was a young adult, people were still throwing cocktail parties after church & before Sunday dinners.  Years ago, they went the way of the dodo bird.  Then, not long ago, someone (bless him or her!) got the brilliant idea of having sips & nibbles in the Choir Hall after the service. Now, every holiday, I get to flex my party wizard muscles as I put on the "let's social" spread after the adult service.  Beyond satisfying ~ no how, no way I could fit so many people into Squirrel Haven!     

It's a joy to put on the spread before a holiday, which I nab as often as I can.  This week - Palm Sunday - is all about Easter, with lemon cookies & little bitty chocolate cupcakes with birdie nest frosting, Mom's chocolate-enrobed buttercream eggs & my hand-crafted home-baked crackers, olives & cream cheese log & veggie egg salad spread mounded into a half-egg shape, dill dip with wafered carrots & celery sticks.  Oh, and a lovely refreshing punch!

No idea what we will do on Easter.  It's a tough day to put on a special dinner here - it begs for family around a table - and super expense to go out.  We could have gone to The Water Wheel for their brunch - we did that a couple years back;  alas, the stars of the groaning sideboard are rounds of roast beef & a glorious ham & salmon with horseradish dill sauce (aka a waste of  $ for vegetarians).  

Whatever we do - thanks to magic in an unexpected place - will be wonderful.  I will have gotten to feed my beloved masses, John will have gloried in prep tastings & all the left overs!  All's right with our world!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment