Thursday, August 6, 2015

Johnny, I hardly know ye...


 Image result for mccain shutdown


Sen. John McCain 2015, explaining his support of shutting down the government over Planned Parenthood's harvesting fetal tissue for scientific research  -   "I don't think it's about a government shutdown.  It's about doing what's necessary to stop a dubious use of American taxpayers' dollars."


Sen. John McCain 1992, explaining his support of a bill approving fetal tissue harvesting for scientific research - "My abhorrence for the practice of abortion is unquestionable. Yet my abhorrence for these diseases (Parkinson’s and juvenile diabetes) and the suffering they cause is just as strong.”


Image result for john mccain 1992




This started out to be just the subject line & the two quotes, illustrating how radically Sen. McCain has flipped from his early 1990s support of fetal tissue research to his present call to shutdown the government over Planned Parenthood's fetal tissue harvesting.  Then, I came across this tweet (presumably written by a conservative staffer) & my heart stopped, my stomach lurched.

Image result for mccain shutdown


A caution to John McCain's staff, particularly his newer, more far right staffers - if you are citing a source of information that your boss is using to justify a rather radical decision (like shutting down the government), use one that is considered a "source of record."  Something like the Washington Post or (in spite of its recent Hillary reporting debacle) the New York Times.  Even the Philadelphia Inquirer or the Sacramento Bee.  But the DAILY CALLER?  You can't use a headline from an openly avowed staunch conservative website as  reason for the senator's opposition.  OF COURSE IT'S GOING TO SAY THAT - it's editor & founder is Tucker Carlson!


If the Senator John McCain I knew throughout most of his career had run for president in 2008, I would have voted for him.  If he had run, he'd be winding down his 2nd term as POTUS.  But he didn't.  

This is what I would have voted for in 2008:

Image result for garner maverick



This is what I resolutely voted AGAINST:
 
Image result for mccain maverick  


Johnny, I hardly know ye.  The true maverick seemed to disappear with the old millenium.  And we are all the poorer for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment