Tuesday, December 29, 2015

DIY Cheerleader




Image result for creativity  cheerleading pom poms


When I was born, Mom's friends joshed that - at 42 - she was a do-it-yourself grandma.  At 63, am embracing being my own DIY cheerleader! 

Got to thinking about this last week, after a good buddy said she wished someone could give me a tip of the hat like I gave Mim. Reality is that no one could - no close friends from college or high school or even childhood to spill the beans.  

Still, as I read Ed Catmull's Creativity, Inc & thought about my professional experiences, found myself wanting to lay them out, much like I'd shared memories of Mim.  Was held back by the fear that others would think me self-aggrandizing.  Torn.


Image result for ed catmull steve jobs


As I make my way through You Are a Badass, pushed past my fear of others' tsk-tsking to freeing myself to be my own best booster. 

If you think it is cocky & big-headed of me to talk about some of my own amazing moments, then so be it.  Personally, have come to believe we'd all be better served in this life if we spent at least as much time considering what we've done right or well or even fabulously as we do fixating on what we did wrong or dismally or disastrously. 

Had always thought of my own accomplishments as small scale compared to Mim's;  thinking about them over the past few weeks, realized that while only a couple were flashy, all are worth a cheer - at least from me!

HPG - thanks for the friendly nudge.  Ed - thanks for bringing so many ancient memories back to mind.  Jen - thanks for setting off the spark!



Image result for creativity cheerleading pom poms



No comments:

Post a Comment