Wednesday, September 9, 2015

SURPRISE! - Mim memory


Image result for birthday


How old was I when Mim threw my first surprise doll party on an odd-year birthday?  No idea, but it became a tradition right up to & including my 21st, when she gave me miniature bottles of gin & Drambuie.

Somehow, she managed to surprise me (although I suspect my deep desire to be surprised might have been a factor).  As delightful as it was for me, it's quite possible that the planning & putting on of the biennial blast was even greater fun for Mim.


Image result for surprise birthday 

To qualify for a doll party present, it had to be small.  No one loved shopping more than Mim, especially for the unusual.  I picture her trekking out the Bonnie Barn in Wayne, to Thorell's in Chestnut Hill, to the Jenkintown Book Store or Chestnut Hill's Frigate Books, to five & dime stores as well as mega posh emporiums, always with her eye out for that tiny just-right item.  

So many years, so many fabulous parties with dozens of dolls & stuffies & three happy humans.  


Image result for doll tea party 
 


Although my 21st marked my last birthday doll party, I'd go on to throw a couple of my own for dear friends with equally deep streaks of whimsy & two were thrown, back to back, in August 1989 - a bridal shower for me in the afternoon & one that night for a VERY surprised John!  (We flipped over the cake from the earlier shower, turning it into a hill with a little plastic train chugging over its crest.)  



Image result for plastic train cake decoration





No comments:

Post a Comment