Wednesday, September 23, 2015

south of Richmond - Mim memory


Image result for i 95 sign


Crazy as it still seems, the school gave the green light to my missing a full week of senior year to go to Florida with my sister to see a rocket take off to the moon.  Crazy, because I did not have anything close to a sterling reputation for academic prowesss. My grades were, at best, mediocre.  (At my very best.)  But apparently the powers-that-be thought the experience would be educational enough to warrant the absence.

Which is how we can to hit the road bright & early, Tuesday November 11, 1969.  Just after 9:00 a.m., two totally pysched, rarin' to go daughters bid adieu to one parent, waving like mad from the end of Cherry Lane, then to the other, at Lockhart Lumber on Philmont Avenue. 

Image result for ford econoline van 1969
 Dad's van looked like this, without the "flames."

A tip of my hat to Dad, who not only turned over the keys to his van, not only made sure it was gassed up the night before, but who basically underwrote the entire wild ride.  Looking back, am mighty grateful he & Mom couldn't say no to Mim - much, on this occasion, to my benefit.

When Mim got behind the wheel, she was possessed.  Our family took leisurely drives, with lots of scenic breaks & stops for meals & nibblings.  Not Mim.  We didn't eat until we had to fill up the car.  

Philadelphia, Wilmington, Baltimore, D.C., Richmond - they all slid past. 

Clear memories of the sandwiches Mom made for us - and Mim saying, "Don't drink that soda, because I'm not stopping until ..."  She meant it! 

When Mim finally stopped for the night, she had me call Mom, with strict instructions on what to say & what not to reveal.  

"So, where are you staying?" Mom asked.

"Oh, south of Richmond," was my honest but not quite forthcoming reply.

Yes, we were south of Richmond - 86 miles south, at a Horne's in Weldon, N.C.  

How wonderful the bed felt when we finally crashed.  We were exhausted & excited & still pinching ourselves that we were out of the grey, cold Mid-Atlantic, snug in the South & headed to the Sunshine State!


  Image result for horne's motor lodge

Oh - did I mention my broken foot?  That my left leg was encased in a cast up my calf?  




photo credits www.suggestkey.com, highwayhosts.org 








No comments:

Post a Comment