Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Parvus sed potens - Mim memory

Parvus sed potens - small, but mighty.  That describes one of my most powerful memories of the remarkable quality of Mim's mind  - a New Year's Eve spent with our parents at the "Come Again" Cabin, the little house on the little hill behind Lew & Mira.  

My best guess is it was 1960 or '61 - the conflict in Vietnam was heating up, but still not registering as something that would affect the USA; Mim was in Bryn Athyn after Christmas, not up at Tonche with the Lach Pitcairns;  our family finances were at low ebb, with everything invested in Dad's fledgling Lockhart Lumber & Millwork, so they weren't out doing their usual New Year's Eve whoop-de-do.

Several days before, Mim (17 or 18) - wanting to make the evening as special for our parents as she could, but also without extra funds - started writing a series of skits for the two of us to perform, with herself as narrator & yours truly providing "color" to the pieces, which depicted New Year's Eve around the world.  

I have absolutely no memory of the rest of the pieces, but can still see the final skit, a vivid memory due to literally seeing my own performance reflected in the living room windows & because I watched Mim's closing, seated on the couch with Mom & Dad.

Mim started with her back turned to the "audience," as I waited stage left, in Mom & Dad's room.  She shouted out "BANG!  BANG!  BANG!  BANG!" as I tore into the living room.  As I moved past her, she asked, "Are they setting off fireworks to make the new year?" & I yelled back, "Fireworks?  No!  We're under attack!"  

Mim let some seconds go by, as I joined Mom & Dad for the end.  She took on the demeanor of a Vietnamese native* & spoke very quietly about the dream of peace on earth, comparing it to the reality being experienced on the other side of the world, spoke about it softly, yet powerfully.  I can't remember the precise words, but clearly recall their gist & the soft strength of her delivery. 

Although I never saw my sister perform on stage, what she gave us that night will always be in my mind & heart.  

Looking back, can recall the awe I felt, even at 8 or 9, at how well-read Mim was to be aware of what was happening & the meaning/importance of it, that she could effectively write about it & had the talent to deliver her complex & disquieting message in a powerful yet entertaining form & manner.

A small memory, but still - over a half century later - mighty. 


Image result for vietnamese old man

* my sense was of a wise old man

 

1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful, deev. Incredible story. It strikes me that it might have been a little scary at the time too. I love that you remember it because of the mirror. Great! Thank you for sharing it with me. Love, Bar

    ReplyDelete