Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Not as dispassionate as I thought - MIM

Got word today that my sister was being admitted to her local hospital in Toms River, NJ with a double threat of a growth on her liver & a blood clot.  I thought I'd handled the news capably, well - even a little dispassionately.

Not.

Going into to have dinner with a grannie client at her "enhanced living" residence, just forgot one small detail.  To turn off my car's ignition.  

Over an hour later, one of the security team informed me that the engine was running & smoke was billowing out from under the hood.

It certainly was.

I turned off the engine, waited for it to cool down, popped the hood & let it sit, surrounding it with love.  Over another hour later, it started, but faltered.  And the Check Engine Light was blazing.

As concerned as I am about my beloved car & weirded out that I could have done such a bizarre thing, it was also reassuring to know - so tangibly - that I hadn't taken the distressing news of Mim, my infinitely more beloved older sister & longtime side kick/dearest amigo, as calmly as I first thought. And that is a great solace.

Cars, however stout-hearted & true, can be replaced.  Sisters?  Never...

No comments:

Post a Comment