Monday, July 14, 2014

Duh!

Mondays SHOULD be the best night of the week - the night John takes me out to dinner.  He drives us to Bell's Tavern in Lambertville, we meet up with friends & have a lovely supper, then gas up the car at the (low price) L-ville station & head home, possibly with a stop over at B & N.  

That's the ideal night.  This is the second week in a row that it hasn't happened, that we've been reduced to a pick-up supper at home.  All because an idiosyncracy of John's runs headlong into an idiosyncracy of mine, making a major idioTsyncracy of the whole mess. 

Yes, it drives me nuts when the driver hands the decision making over to the passenger.  Makes no sense.  I can understand asking for an opinion, if both the driver & passenger have the same information.  But asking for a decision or for an opinion when the passenger has an obscured view or limited info?  Utterly illogical.

And don't get me started on how nuts it drives me to have a decision of John's laid onto me.  Which was what triggered tonight's turn-around.  It's not that he made a wildly illogical decision, it's that instead of just responding with a smack to the head & a "Duh," he said, "You told me to turn there."  

Where we were going is a driveway preceded by two almost identical driveways.  Yes, I had cautioned him not to turn at the 1st.  Yes, as he started into a turn, I warned him that the 2nd one was wrong, too - that the right driveway was AT the library sign.  If he had turned AFTER the sign, he would have been on the grass, headed toward the building.  After two false starts, he seemed to completely ignore the correct 3rd driveway.  When I said,  "Huh??" he seemed to come to & lurched right into the driveway.  How can you be waved off the first, off the second with the comment that it's the next one, then sail PAST the next one?  And when asked why, give a "wasn't me" explanation.

Drives me totally completely around-the-bend NUTS.  When we where driving home, he comes to a V & asks me which road should he take, like it was all virgin territory to him.  I can understand a driver asking if I'd LIKE him to take this or that road, but to ask "Which one...?" when he's lived in this area for over 30 years - - yeah, that is going to hit me all wrong.  

Mind you, I've had tons of female friends say, "He's just being a man," and maybe he is.  But it is still not right.  If you don't listen to someone, realize it.  Don't protest.  If you goof, a simple response is to hit your head & say "Duh!"  But don't shift the blame.  Whatever your gender, that's just not right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment