Wednesday, June 22, 2016

writing as a smudging ritual



Image result for smudging

Smudging is one of those things that I'm aware of, have sensed the power of,  contemplated doing, but haven't.  When we started working on the house, years ago, thought about a smudging ceremony to clear the rooms of old, limiting energies;  decided against it since John is not a fan of incense & it was hard imagining him being okay with burning sage.

In researching smudging - an ancient practice of purifying, clearing out negative energy from a space, through the smoke of certain herbs - discovered there's actually some basis for it in science.  Research indicates that burning sage & certain other herbs actually do lead to more positive ions in a room, a more positive mood in us.


Now, am turning to writing as a personal smudging ceremony.  Purifying my personal space through an intentional, respectful, honoring of my sister.  Instead of sharing memories, as I did last year, will share aspects of her being, at least as I experienced them.  


Image result for smudging


This morning, unable to sleep, figured I'd get in some reading.  Then, what I read - about denying personal creativity - drew me to thinking about Mim, which got me pondering this whole writing as a smudging ceremony idea that struck me yesterday.  

So, I fired up the pc to do an online search.  Right off the bat - POW!  Hit with a statement that spoke right to me.

An article on Spirituality & Health shares, "In a sense, (the herbs) are working in a kind way, saying ‘learn about me and we can respect each other and we can walk together'

Oh my gosh - learn about me, respect each other, we can walk together.  Just yesterday, wrote about longing to do the first two & actually experiencing the third.  Definitely on the right track!


 Image result for smudging


What I attempted to do in yesterday's 2nd post was to learn more about Mim, to write about my experiences of her with respect, partnering honesty & honoring.  I almost went in & changed the posting's title from "more Mim" to "smudging," then let things be.  Yesterday was a loving tip of the hat to a challenged sister; what I'll be doing over the coming whatever is something different.  A releasing more than a recognition.

As I wrote in yesterday's earlier post, have been awed how, time & again, the just-right thing has shown up, apparently unbidden, at the just-right moment in the just-right way. Little did I know how soon it would happen - again!  Writing yesterday's first posting, feeling the wistful acceptance of "we could have been such great partners - except we never could be."  Coming away from writing the second with the sense that "more Mim" wasn't where I really am.  Now, embarking on doing something constructive, something beyond writing interesting shares.  It simply arrived.

Learn about Mim, learn about me, respect each other, walk together. THAT's what I'm seeking in writing as a smudging ceremony.  My deepest thanks to the Powers-That-Be that inspired it.  

Stay with me as I ponder contemplate share my deeper experiences with - to swipe from Earl Spencer - my sister, the unique, the complex, the extraordinary & irreplaceable Mim.


 Image result for smudging

 

No comments:

Post a Comment