Monday, June 27, 2016

Gremlin training pierces invulnerability armor


Image result for gremlin institute


My best guess is that Rick Carsons's classic, Taming Your Inner Gremlin: a surprisingly simple method to get out of your own way, was the very first "personal development" book of the many that have become the navigational tools of finding my way to a more wholehearted sense of self, a trip we're all called to take.  It was one of the great aha books that I read BEFORE marrying John.  Looking back, it strikes me that reading & being awakened by this terrific tome might have made John possible.


The purpose of the book, laid out on the opening page of the Gremlin-Taming Institute, is to share "a process for beginning to get a sliver of light between who you are, and who you think you are."  .

Which is why I point to reading distilling believing it was necessary before I could see appreciate love John - and be loved by him.  With a bit of gremlin-training under my belt, I'd begun to get that sliver of light between who I am, and what I thought I was.

Rick Carson did for me what Stephen Covey would do, almost fifteen years later, for my mother.  Wedge the teeniest of teensy wedges between our image of our self & a reality infinitely better than what we thought.

Which leads me, 30+ years after the first doff of my hat to a gremlin as I walked PAST to a better everything, to the present & reading Brene Brown, who often mentions gremlins.  

I haven't read anything gremliny in 25+ years; loaned out the book to someone who hopefully passed it forward. Sooooo ready for a refresher, so this a.m. I ordered an updated copy of the classic, an audio version &  A Master Class in Gremlin Training.  Imagining the power of rereading it, in light of all I've learned over the past year.  Got a strong sense that Brene & Rick will make a POW combination!


 Image result for gremlin institute

 

No comments:

Post a Comment