Monday, April 4, 2016

180 over 88


Image result for blood pressure

Having a tooth extracted brought to light a much bigger problem than a decayed molar - my blood pressure is through the roof.  

Not surprising.  Haven't been under a physician's care since last summer, when my doctor said, "Get blood tests before our next visit."  Makes sense.  Problem is, I don't have health care coverage (make too little for the ACA, too much for Medicaid).  Am not seeking funding for someone to foot the outrageous amount I'd be charged, due to lack of a contracted payment schedule.

That leaves responsibility for bringing down my blood pressure squarely on my own two shoulders.  

Over the past year - particularly since Mim died in July - I've become a very bad vegetarian.  Oh, I'm still vegetarian, but eating qualifying-but-unhealthy foods & lots of processed.  


Image result for vegetarian


In the opening to his prayer this past Sunday, Eric Carswell talked about turning to a higher power to help make better choices.  Clearly what I need to do with my diet.  

No idea how my eating habits went to pieces after 2+ years of being a happy vegetarian.  And I still am - well, a vegetarian, but not all that happy with it. Am blessed to find a healthy vegetarian diet far tastier & more satisfying than my old carnivore ways, certainly more satisfying than what I've been eating lately. Just totally off track.

Those two numbers - 180,  88 - let me know, "Straighten up & fly right!" ~or~ risk ending up on a mortuary slab (or, worse, in a hospital bed).  

Image result for people forming a heart

Will be recruiting a health care circle of friends (praise be, it includes three physicians & someone steeped in alternative care, all of them hip to the power of good nutrition) with whom I can be honest, keep in the loop with my progress, any challenges.

April 4, 2016 - ten months & two days until Medicare kicks in.  No waiting around - gotta do what I can, to the best of my ability, now.  Which means doing a major shop tomorrow & writing a few key letters over the coming days.

Closing this with a mega shout out to Dr. Louis Huy & the staff at Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, PC - Warminster.  You rock!


 Image result for louis huy

Louis Huy, DDS - 
skilled AND handsome! 



No comments:

Post a Comment