Monday, October 6, 2014

done is better than good

On a recent Ted Talk Hour, that epic Frenchtown resident, Elizabeth Gilbert, considered, "Where Does Creativity Come From?"  And she quoted a favorite quote of her mother's that is a guide to this day - "Done is better than good."

The flip was my reality, where done was equated with unideal.  Once something is done, it's finite.  It can be wonderful, but it will never be MORE wonderful.  A completed whatever is less exciting & vibrant & promising than if we keep it forever in the potential stage.  Done is prosaic, ordinary, dull & boring.  Undone is better than anything & everything - that message was dinned into my young & not-so-young mind.

Done is better than good.  In fact, the only reason for getting ideas is to figure out which ones really matter to you & follow them through to completion.  My quandary remains - still - that the quote makes total sense to me AND goes against my grain.


No comments:

Post a Comment