Sunday, May 31, 2015

fundamental differences - giving anonymously

It always astonishes, the traits I share with my sister & those that I don't.

My sister always seemed to feel the best gift is the one given anonymously, or with as little attention as possible.  That there is greater value to such gifts & generosity.

In my experience, the opposite is true.  People enjoy knowing a giver - the more personally, the better.  

Take our local college & our theological school.  Every week, I baked a nibbling for both.  But I had the opportunity to connect with each of the theologs, whereas there were very few college students I had the pleasure of meeting.  To the latter, I was this name without a face.  The ones I've gotten to know have shared how much more the nibbling means, knowing what Aunt Deev looks like, why she loves feeding BACNC students.


 Image result for bryn athyn theological school

The theologs were a totally different story.  Almost every week, we had the opportunity to briefly interact.  While the nibblings were enjoyable, each of "my lads" were clear that it was the personal contact - not the food - that matters most to them.  


 Image result for chocolate chip heart cookie


This morning, I had the pleasure of watching four candidates for the priesthood kneel, of seeing four ministers arise.  We didn't connect because of teaching or being related or anything other than weekly deliveries of gluten-free goodies - with a face & name & heart attached.

Giving anonymously might work great for Mim.  For me - the fun of feeding the college is surpassed mightily to the joy of actually connecting.  Here's to next fall & the hope of connecting more - of being as un-anonymous as possible - with my BACNC college kids!  

Image result for bryn athyn college

No comments:

Post a Comment