Friday, March 13, 2015

Jane Jan Izzie Fay Joy Myra Danielle

 Image result for globe going around

Confession - I have a reputation for being a dismal comittee person.  I admire those who serve so well on the committees that make our world go 'round, but have long lacked the core skill set - patience, diplomacy, the ability to ask the insightful question.

For decades, I took that as an effectiveness-sucking lack.  Now, I take it as part of my core self & not beat myself up for it.

My reality is that when I see something needs doing, I don't want to wait.  Looking over my successes, can see how that quality helped create good, great, WOW!  Imagine what I could do with a little more patience.  The diplomacy, the ability to see big pictures & ask insightful questions - am getting better, even having fun doing what I can to make them part of my skills tool kit.

Have been musing on this for a week, ever since Jane Bostock DeCharms' memorial service.  Keep remembering the minister's comment about Jane - in tandem with Jan Boericke - being a driving force behind making our local senior residence a reality.  

Which got me thinking about how Jan was also a driving force in saving Cairnwood, transforming it from a crumbling building to a fabulous event space that's the very heart of the Bryn Athyn Historic District.  

Image result for bryn athyn historic district

Which got me to thinking about Fay, Joy, Izzie & Myra - the driving forces behind Bryn Athyn Thrift Shop

Image result for bryn athyn thrift shop


Which got me thinking about Danielle, the driving force behind our little hometown's world renown gardens & Bryn Athyn Bounty Farm Market.

Image result for bryn athyn college gardens      Image result for bryn athyn college gardens


Being a visionary doesn't rule out being an effective committee person, just as being a whiz at serving on committees doesn't cripple your vision.  Each of those women prove it.  And we have the retirement village, the renown thrift shop & the stunning event space to prove it!


 Image result for cairnwood

In each situation, getting the vision accepted by decision makers, getting the green light to make each so, took time.  Patience.  Focus.  It took heart & soul commitment to their final goal.  It took inspiration & hard work & the ability to turn set backs into steps forward.  

When I chafe at the bit to get going with my deepest dreams for a community  renown for nurturing & supporting engaged, energized, empowered aging - from infant to ancient - will think about those remarkable women.  Will dig down deep for more patience, greater diplomacy, clearer eyes for seeing the big picture, keener ability to ask the insightful question.  Recognize where I need work, build my strengths.  Stay focused, work hard & turn set backs into steps forward. I have some unforgettable trail blazers showing me the way!

~ ~ ~

Do YOU know someone who combined the awe of a visionary with the roots of a committee person?  Shout their praises from the roof tops!  (Or leave a high-five comment!)

No comments:

Post a Comment