Tuesday, March 10, 2015

he almost nails it

 Image result for the ultimate gift movie james garner

In The Ultimate Gift, Red Stevens says, "You don't begin to live until you've lost everything."  

When I first heard that line, almost ten years ago, it seemed so spot on.  Now, something about it gives me pause. 

It almost nails it, not quite.  

Yes, for some people ~ myself included ~ we need to lose all our familiar structures if we're going to rise like a phoenix out of the ashes.  Many people ~ myself included ~ begin to live then because all we've lost are the appearances, leaving the too-often invisible overlooked missed reality.

Almost fourteen years ago, within an astonishing four weeks, practically every known strut & structure in my life disappeared.  POOF!  

John was still in my heart & by my side, but everything else - job, income, co-workers, savings, community, friends, family - vanished or receded to virtual invisibility.  

Although I've been intellectually aware the Universe had stripped me down to basics so I could be retooled into something less akin to a Nissan Cube, more a Lamborghini,  that couldn't have happened if I'd really lost everything.  

If nothing else, in addition to never losing loving & true John, I never lost hope, faith that something indefinably MORE was possible, meant to be.  If I could get out of my own way to let it emerge.



Image result for the ultimate gift movie

No comments:

Post a Comment