Thursday, March 19, 2015

A friend is someone who...

 Image result for joan walsh anglund friends

A friend is someone who likes you.

Sitting on the couch a few moments ago, feeling pretty good about having gotten the last of this week's "exam week" goodies to local high school juniors (delayed due to snow), listening to the quiet, it got me to thinking about friends, what treasures they are, how important it is to value & nurture them.

An older friend of ours didn't believe I was friendless in my school days.  Lots of pleasant acquaintances, but real friends?  No.  So different from my here & now.  

While there are few folks with whom I share priceless memories of my younger years, am so blessed to have made so many deep, meaningful connections over the past 25+ years.  Funny, how friendship became easy once I found my best friend in the universe - John.  Funny, how he didn't have close friends either - until after we married.  

Image result for friendship is a sheltering tree


Samuel Coleridge was spot on when he wrote, Flowers are lovely; love is flower-like.  Friendship is a sheltering tree.  

Much as the older friend finds it impossible to believe I was friendless through my teens, those barren, yearning years left me doubly appreciative of the shelter it provides, in my marriage, in the circle of friends that surrounds us. 


Image result for friendship is a sheltering tree
 

No comments:

Post a Comment