Friday, February 12, 2016

Child of the sixties


Image result for psychedelic

Oh, the joy of being older!  Over the past few years - starting sometime after 60 - can see things that were once super sensitive with interest, often bemusement, rather than spirit-twisting mega emotional investment.

Will be forever grateful for my family, my community.  One of the many things learned by my experiences with both is that being different doesn't equal being wrong.  And that family & community are what WE define them as being, rather than anything set in stone.  

Growing up, being so different from what felt like the norm could be daunting.  The community seemed structured, clannish & cliquish - neither my nature nor my nurture.  And my family might as well have come from another solar system, the differences were so profound.  

As I grow deeper into my sixties - turned 64 a few days ago - am increasingly aware of the advantages, on all sides, to those differences.  It's not that my family & community have become more in sync with me, as that I've gotten comfier letting my image of both be open, become less "sure" that how I've viewed them through the ages has the slightest semblance to reality.  


 Image result for psychedelic

Over the past years, have become more willing to let go of comforting but confining labels & reassuring (even if totally off base) expectations.  I know the way my family, my community once came across to me, but that doesn't mean it's still that way.  Youch confession - it doesn't mean it was EVER that way.  

There are great things in store for crafting astonishing connections to & within my community, my family. Can't happen - not a bit of it - if I hold onto old images.  

Christ warned about storing new wine in old casks, or skins.  My limited & limiting concepts of community & family are OLD; what calls to be done is NEW.  If I try bringing fresh ideas to old images of family & community, it's going to be a bust.  

It's hard to describe, the way it feels to let things be, rather than making them into something that makes sense to ME.  As a child of the '60s, I never hooked onto that psychedelic reality. As a child of the sixties, it's all come together.  Lovin' getting older!


 Image result for let it be


Credits:
mwp4.me 
codepoetics.com
youtube.com

No comments:

Post a Comment