Friday, June 9, 2017

Unintentional Research Project

As Gomer Pyle would say – SuhprEYES!  SuhprEYES! SuhprEYES!  I conducted an unintentional psych research project & didn’t even know it!  Am still pondering the interesting, ponder-worthy results.

Over the past 6+ months, I sent out two crowdfund requests to the Universe.  My first fund-raising attempt was last fall, via an online campaign, seeking to raise $20,000 to underwrite my stretch goal of taking a year to really focus on doing all I can to help overhaul - revolutionize - our nation's abysmal culture around oldsters elders ancients.  Three people contributed; raised $250.00.  This spring, I sent out a half the number of requests via snail mail, focusing on a single goal - getting to next month's International Association of Gerontology & Geriatrics World Conference, held every four years, in San Francisco;  doubled the number of contributors & raised enough to make my goal. 

Nine contributors, out of 150+ contacts.  Double the number in the 2nd request, zoom the dollars past the first go 'round.  What could account for the difference?  Two things stand out.  People who received the snail mail had a greater sense of immediacy - no need to go online.  All the info & the request were right in front of them, in their hands.  The second, more interesting possibility connects to the recipients; the first mailing was limited to my friends & pleasant acquaintances in my little hometown, a tight-knit community that prides itself on its generous spirit, while the second went farther afield, to my broader community that includes friends beyond the physical/mental/emotional boundaries of my birth place. 

Out of the 100+ people who responded in my little hometown, three contributed & two sent lovely notes of encouragement.  I am sure that ALL who received & read the snail mail notes smiled & wished me well, whether they checked out the full online request or not. 

Out of the 50+ people who received snail mail requests, six responded, several sent encouraging e-mails & “You, go, girl!” notes.  There was a greater response from people who were NOT raised or lived in my little hometown than from within.  Appreciably larger.  They connected with me about their contributions, which ranged from a heartfelt $10 to a check large enough to get me to & from SF, with a visit to my nearby cousin thrown in. 

It was NOT the response I expected, but looking at the results got me thinking about my little hometown, which has a sterling reputation for generosity & caring for others.  It would be interesting to do a serious study on how much those traits extend to everyone or are actually linked to family, friends, fellow workers, familiar souls – all of which also figure prominently in the make-up of my hometown.
.

And then there is the impact of the “Doctrine of Use,” a core tenet in the faith that roots us.  It is a beautiful belief, the first article of faith I shared with my future husband.  We are put on this earth to be of use, for the love of use rather than any sense of honor, glory or gain.  Perhaps where people not raised with such a deep love of altruistic service saw a goal worth supporting, those who think that being useful for its own sake is the highest use we can serve might hesitate.  Shouldn’t I be doing it on my own, quietly & unobtrusively?  Might they consider asking for help to be unseemly?  It’s possible.

Just as it’s possible that people in my larger, broader community don’t sense me as an outlier, while those in my smaller circle easily could, without even knowing it. 

FACT:  I’ve always been different, although not obviously so.  Years & years ago, I observed to a friend that people seemed quietly put off by my unconventional nature.  She immediately protested, pointing out a mutual friend who was VERY unconventional yet fully integrated into the hometown fabric.  Yes, she was unconventional – in a conventional way, while I am (still) conventional in an unconventional way.  With me, people SEE someone who like them, but they SENSE that I am not. 

In looking at the results to my two requests, the one limited & the other broader, it is clear that people who were only part of my broader community felt considerably more invested in helping me reach my goal than those in the smaller circle.  This has set my brain to rumbling, wondering if it is simply an anomaly or if there is a something connected to our teachings about sovereignty of use – and the suggestion that not only selfless but invisibly provided use is the highest of all. 


Going to have to do more thinking about this.  AFTER getting back from the conference to which I am going, with bells on my toes!




No comments:

Post a Comment