Friday, October 30, 2015

Cease to do evil


Image result for do good avoid evil mary engelbreit

Much as I love your artwork, Mary, have got to tell you that this illustration is just wrong - the order is reversed & that affects everything.  
 
From childhood, it was impressed on me that we must FIRST to do evil - what harms - and THEN what is good.  Layering good onto of what harms corrupts, even nullifies, the good into mere phantom of what it is meant to be.


Image result for cease to do evil learn to do good


So, am going to start a ponder of things I continue to do that serve absolutely no purpose, that are harmful even if they seem merely mediocre or iffy.  It's not enough to realize that Mary E. got the order all wrong - I've got to realize & accept the crucial importance of first departing from evil & then doing the relevant good that I've neglected.  

As a child, I learned that teaching.  As a teen & adult, could see its wisdom.  But it feels like what I've learned is too often NOT what I live.  

In my here & now, it's essential that I pair practice practice practice until what I learned so long ago becomes what I know, what I live, in each present, radical moment.


Image result for cease to do evil learn to do good 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment