Friday, July 22, 2016

YIKES! I'm of two - possibly more - minds




Image result for og mandino



Recently, I asked a young friend - a successful entrepreneur who specializes in nurturing new ventures - for help in making my successes more... intentional. 

While it's true I've been blessed to accomplish - it feels like accidentally - some pretty cool things over my 64 years, my here & now goal is to place FOCUSED  structure around desires, transforming them into goals & completed project.  To know what I truly want to accomplish, to know what I truly do NOT want to accomplish, to do more of the things that will help me MAKE the first happen, to eliminate as much of what doesn't as I can.  To do a Jean Luc Picard, know what I really want & make it happen.  New territory for me!

Much to my original frustration, Andy didn't share any great wisdom with me.  He directed me to a BOOK!  And a pretty old one, to boot - The Greatest Salesman In The World.  He mentioned that I didn't have to read it as he had, which had taken him 10 months to complete. 




Image result for og mandino




t first, I shrugged off the advice.  It had not come in the form I'd expected.  No great pearls of wisdom, just a book published back in the late '60s.

The more I thought about it, the more it dawned on me that I'd asked Andy for advice & it had been given, albeit not in any fashion I'd expected. Couldn't very well ask him for more advice if I hadn't followed the help he'd already offered.

So, I ordered it.  Boy, was I shocked when it arrived.  How did it take Andy ten months to read such a slim volume?.  Could not have been the right book.

But it was.  And I understand why it took Andy so long to read all the way through - he was going for transformation, rather than settling for simply inspiration.  Me, too!

So far - it's been several weeks - I've discovered an interesting fact.  I do not set my entire mind on what I am reading. Part of my brain is reading, but it feels like another, equal part is off playing in the  meadow, much like Tootle the Train. 

Because of the book Andy recommended, I notice how my brain works - amazing.  And unsettling. 

How do I set about - at 64 - getting my mind to focus, to stay on task without part of my mind lollygagging somewhere else?  Don't know, but gonna find out, gonna make it happen that I bring my full attention to a single task.  Goodbye multi-tasking, hullo aware action accomplish!




Image result for og mandino





No comments:

Post a Comment