Saturday, July 9, 2016

FROZEN melts my heart



John & I finally watched FROZEN.  Just the two of us, in the coziness of what he's tagged The Retreat, aka the former computer studio, now so much more.

As usual, the Universe ensured it was the right timing.  Because it could have been a very different experience if seen at the wrong time.

See, the story of Anna & Elsa is a version of the story of this Elsa - me - & my older sister, Mim. 

Something traumatic happened to the character Elsa when she was a little girl, with the fear of fall out so severe her parents decided that isolation was the best chance to limit the reverberations. 

In Mim's case, after whatever happened when she was a little girl that froze her inside, my parents - and possibly older brothers - made it their mission in life to keep whatever it was buried deep down when no one could see it.  Like keeping the palace gates shut & the doors closed; no one saw the pain but it was never healed either. 

Instead of being resolved, like Elsa's unshared secret, it became the center piece of my family's life.


And, like Anna, I had no idea why.  Like Anna, I remembered the fun that Mim & I had for so many years, to all appearances best buddies & devoted sisters.  Until I became old enough & separate enough to be a threat, to risk uncovering What Must Be...  I don't even know the word.  Made UN.

The prince who wins Anna's heart caims he was invisible to his family for years;  I was invisible - UN - to mine forever.  Anna said Elsa shut her out & she never  knew why.  Gee, do I know that feeling.

If only sisterly love could have warmed Mim to the fullness of her life as it was meant to be.  But she was too encased in the ice of fear.  There was no getting through to the genuine loving vulnerable Mim.  Get too close & she threw up as devastating a wall of barbed ice as stunningly effective as anything Elsa conjured. 

I finally watched FROZEN because someone said it ended in a similar way to A Wrinkle In Time, with love being what changed everything.  I knew that, but nothing could have prepared me - or John, who knows, has lived, my story - for tonight. 

It was strangely liberating, seeing how the end unfolded.  Liberating, yet leaving me with tender "If only..." in my heart. 


Image result for ice heart



No comments:

Post a Comment