Tuesday, December 2, 2014

taking my own counsel

A grannie client dreads being bored, having nothing to do.  Unfortunately, she currently has trouble reading & has never been much of a crafter, so her way of staying energized is to be with people.  Monday is her most dreaded day - nothing to do at night, nowhere to go, no one with whom to chat.  

Recently, I helped her see Mondays in a different light, by talking about how our Creator commands us to set aside time when we can distance ourselves from the busy-ness of the world, be contemplative, still.  It's commanded because THAT is how we come to experience the Divine.  The only way.  Not through countless hours of reading & study, not though untold minutes discussing fine points of doctrine.  

Be still, and know that I am God.

Everything I shared with her is the gospel truth.  We are so commanded - and most of us, including me, don't.  Don't even come close.  Don't even set aside one night out of seven to pause reflect be.  Contemplating rather than considering, meditating instead of pondering.

Time for me to take my own counsel.  Time to honor my own sabbath, my own time of handing over the frou-frou of this world & open up to spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment