Thursday, June 26, 2014

More on books as counselors

Like every other human on the face of the planet, I have a heap of issues (aka life lessons).  Add to that little solid ground under my feet, practically no idea which way is up & which is down, and you have someone who's spent an astonishing amount of time looking to shore up my footing & find a better sense of direction.  

Most people I know seem to have friends with whom to thrash out things.  My niece, Whitney, once told me that we should keep peace with our families, working safely through gnarly family issues with our friends.  Well, what do you do when you don't have that sort of close, unburden yourself-and-get-solid-advice buddies -and- lack the funds for counseling -and- most folks you confide in just don't get your problems?

Books.  I turned to books. All those voices, all that experience, all those astonishing insights & AH HA! moments.  

Am reminded of that as I go through - for the third time - Nancy Slonim Aronie's, Writing from the Heart.  Have already talked about Nancy's book, many postings ago.  I bought it because it was about memoir writing ~ much of my grannie client work is a form of 3-dimensional memoir.  It turned out to be so much more.  And now there is the very real possibility that I will be taking her weekend workshop at the Rowe Conference Center.  

My copy of her book is now totally unreadable by anyone else.  Corners thumbed down or creased in half to denote "contains WOW passage(s);"  it's been yellow highlighted, underlined with blue pencil & later with red;  margins are filled with comments.  My copy's worth has gone from $16.97 at Barnes & Noble to priceless.  And another reminder that my life isn't just touched with magic - it's filled!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment