Tuesday, April 7, 2015

beyond belief in the species

There are people who have a deep belief in their circle of friends.  Others who tie their strongest allegiance to family & clan.  Some who have a sense of belonging with people who attend the same church or school or social organizations.  For a long time, I thought that my belief as in the species, in all humans.  How wrong I was.  My belief goes way beyond species - it rests with all creatures, great & small.

In that, I am a lot like my brother, Ian.  Like my husband.  It was brought home on Sunday, as John & I took an Easter drive past some of our most beloved spots.  At the farm we love so well, at Wiltshire & Pebble Hill, we drove past a gorgeous shaggy cow, gazing straight at us, no more than six feet away from the open car window.  Drove down the road a short distance, turned around to drive past again, and that magnificent animal was on its side, face turned toward the warm afternoon sun, its entire body relaxing into the sultry afternoon.  It was sunbathing.

Sunbathing.  Taking its ease on a perfect afternoon, a welcome respite after a flat-out awful, cold, grey, damp winter.  Just existing in the glorious moment.

We were not human & cow - we were beings, with bone & tissue & blood coursing through out bodies.  

My belief goes beyond family & friends, community & tribes, organizational ties & professional alliances.  My belief is always & forever in the right of all living beings to savor the moment.  All this, from one sunbathing cow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment