Tuesday, January 13, 2015

newest unexpected angel



A second unexpected angel showed up life the other day.  The newest is Geneva Crockett Pitcairn, who would have turned 93 yesterday, but instead is surely being reunited with her O! Best Beloved.  A woman who was an angel in so many lives here on the good old Earth. 



Mrs. Pitcairn embodied the teaching that heaven is a place of delight, of order, of use.  Her greatest accomplishments - family & friends of all ages, from littles to significantly aged - filled the church.  All touched by a woman whose life’s work was being a good daughter sister, good wife & friend, a good mother who helped raise a lot of children, her own eight and so many others. 



Meg Whitman, Sheryl Sandberg & Anne Sweeney – to me, their successful careers pale next to Mrs. Pitcairn’s.  To raise a terrific, loving family, provide a welcoming home-away-from home for so many people of so many ages, whose pool was always open for elderly swimmers & whose heart was always open for everyone – that seems to me the highest level of success. 



Mrs. Pitcairn  - courtesy of Kurt Hy. Asplundh's memorial address – is a forever reminder of the three core components of a fabulous earthly & heavenly life:  delight, order & (unmentioned, but all through KHyA’s talk) use.



Thanks to my first unexpected angel, Cheryl Giobetti Hoffman, I now get to bed seriously earlier than a month back, in order to rise & shine at 5:30 a.m., a hour I've long known to be my best time to get up, but resisted because it's not my comfy norm.  Now, Mrs. Pitcairn guides me to another longtime recognized & resisted step - recognizing, accepting & following next-best-actions. 



Mrs. Hoffman – every day, I do my best to “get over your self.”  Mrs. Pitcairn – every day, will do my best to express a life of delight, order & use.  When I find myself getting distracted, side tracked, goofing off, will just reach up, pull out my lower lip, and get on with living wisely & well. 



Two unexpected angels, one on each shoulder, join one longtime angel forever in my heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment