Thursday, May 22, 2014

wrapped in hugs

wrapping in hugs

Over the decades, certain words from each of my surviving family members helped illuminate what to expect from each of them.  

From Mom - "I thought I could. I can't."
 
From Dad -  "Kay, I'm only taking her at her word.  She said she didn't care if she went trick or treating on Halloween."

From Peter - "How could anything I did cause YOU any harm?  I wasn't in your life enough to cause harm."
 

From Mike (in a letter to Mom)  - "If you are doing this (seeking a clearer sense idea of who SHE was) because it makes your children happy, it doesn't."

From Mim - "I bet you think that I talk to Mark (her psychologist) about you a lot.  I never talk with him about you."

ONE of those defining statements infer an appreciation of healthy adult attitudes.  Dad's - god bless him!!  Someone in the family had some expectation, however fleeting, of adult behaviors from the rest of us.  Even in  6th grade, I got it & appreciated the lesson.

Way over a quarter century later, Peter would - in a blessed 60-minute joint session we shared with a counselor - point to that very statement as a primary example of what an atrocious father we had, while I experienced it, even at the time (!), as the gold standard of good solid parenting.  Yes, my 6th grade heart was broken. Oh, I wept & wailed & begged Dad to let me go out on Halloween.  Mom beseeched him  - "Pete, she's just a little girl."  But Dad held firm - he held me to my word.  

At a remarkably young age, my father taught me an invaluable lesson ~ ~ be careful what you say, because people will take you at my word.

So, a big high five  & hug to Dad!  Wrapping each of the others in a tender hug - it wasn't easy having me for a baby sister, perhaps especially after Ian died.  Because they had difficulties with my who & how, Mom did too.  Or maybe she considered me as UN as the rest.  Poor woman, trying to create a placid family life when how we saw & what we sought from life was so wildly different.  

How luscious to be 62, looking back & seeing only love & learning.  Taking a moment to hug myself!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment